Become a Councillor


Elections are held for the 18 seats on the council every four years and the last full elections took place in May 2021. Two wards were uncontested (meaning councillors were elected unopposed).


 There are three ways to become a councillor: 

Ordinary Election
Ordinary elections are held every four years and this is when all 18 seats on the council are up for election. Councillors serve a four-year term and all take office four days after the election. The next ordinary elections are in May 2024.
If a vacancy arises between ordinary elections a by-election may be held for that one seat. The elected councillor will serve the remainder of the term and retire with other councillors at the next ordinary election.
If an insufficient number of candidates stand for an ordinary election leaving seats vacant, or a by-election is not triggered when a casual vacancy arises, the existing councillors may vote to co-opt a councillor to serve the term.

What does a Parish Councillor do?

In short, councillors work together to set the policy direction of the Parish Council. Councillors attend regular meetings of the council and its committees to make decisions on a range of matters deciding what services should be delivered, where money should be spent and what policies should be implemented.

Councillors represent the local community, both residents of their ward and the parish as a whole. Councillors will be contacted by residents who have problems they need assistance with and some councillors are appointed to serve on outside bodies, such as the BANKS Group for the windfarm located at Penny Hill farm.

You can find more information about Elections on our webpage here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are Councillors paid?

No, our councillors do not receive an allowance. The exception to this is the Chair of the Council who receives an allowance to meet the expenses of that office. We do reimburse some expenses such as mileage but we are unable (by law) to reimburse childcare costs.

Who decides if there will be a by-election?

A casual vacancy arises when a councillor leaves office between ordinary elections. This could be through resignation, death, disqualification or by failing to attend meetings. When a casual vacancy arises, the Clerk will publish a notice giving the electors living in the ward 14 working days the opportunity to demand an election. If 10 electors write to the Returning Officer at Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council to request an election a by-election is triggered. If fewer than 10 request an election, the parish council must instead co-opt a councillor to fill the vacancy. If the vacancy occurs within the 6 months before an ordinary election no by-election will be held even if demanded. If a by-election is not demanded the council can choose to leave the vacancy unfilled until the election.

What support is provided?

The Clerk provides an induction for all new councillors and part of his role is provide advice and support to all councillors. Experienced councillors are often happy to support new councillors ‘find their feet’. We encourage councillors to undertake training relevant to their roles and the needs of the council and councillors have access to advice from the Yorkshire Local Councils Association.

Where do the Wards come into it?

Thurcroft Parish is divided into two wards: Thurcroft North (Covering Thurcroft and Brampton-en-le Morthen) and Thurcroft South (Covering Laughton Common). It is the electors of the ward who vote in any given election, a councillor does not have to live in the ward they stand in. In any election, you can only stand once i.e. in one ward. If you stand for more than one you will be not be validly nominated in either. However, you are not tied to a ward, so if you stand for election in Thurcroft North in one election, you could stand in Thurcroft South ward at the next.

Can I be a member of a Political party / Do I have to be?

Councillors can stand for election (or co-option) as candidates for a political party, to do so they must have permission from the party, usually through the local branch. Councillors can also be independent of political parties.



Who can be a Thurcroft Parish Councillor?

Anyone aged 18 or over can stand for election (or co-option) if they meet certain qualification criteria. The first is that you are a British citizen, a citizen of either an eligible commonwealth nation or a qualifying EU citizen or EU citizen with retained rights.

The second qualification criteria is your connection to Knutsford; there are four different criteria you could meet and you only need to meet one of them to be able to stand.

Registered Elector
You are on the electoral register for Thurcroft Parish at the time of nomination and will remain on it throughout your term of office.
Occupied Land in the Parish
You have occupied land or premises in Thurcroft Parish as owner/tenant for the 12 months preceding nomination (and election).
Work in the Parish
Your main/only place of work is in Thurcroft Parish or has been during the past 12 months – this includes voluntary work if it is the main/only work you undertake.
Live in the Parish
You have lived in Thurcroft Parish (or within 3 miles of the boundary) for the 12 months preceding nomination (and election).

You are disqualified from being a Parish Councillor if any of the following apply: you are an employee/paid officer of Thurcroft Parish Council, you are subject a bankruptcy restrictions order/interim order, you have been sentenced (inc. suspended sentences) to a term of imprisonment of three months or more within the 5 years prior to polling day or you have been disqualified under the Representation of the People Act 1983 e.g. for corrupt or illegal electoral practices.

Detailed guidance on qualification and disqualification can be found on the Electoral Commission website.


Standing for Election

Elections to Thurcroft Parish Council are run by Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council (the elections authority). Standing for election is the same for ordinary elections and by-elections and the Electoral Commission website has full resources that explain the rules in more detail. The detailed timeline for an election will be set out in the formal notices. If you are intending to stand as a candidate for a political party you should contact the party in advance.

Just over a month before an election, a formal notice of the election will be given by Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council. This will be published on the parish council’s noticeboard and website. The notice will give a date from which nomination papers can be submitted.

Nomination papers can be downloaded from the Electoral Commission website or may be available from the Parish Council Offices. Candidates have from the day after the notice until around one month before an election to submit their nomination papers to Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council – there is often a window of around a week between the notice and the deadline for nominations. Nomination papers must be hand delivered and completed fully. You must have a proposer and seconder who do. You will also need a witness to confirm you have consented to the nomination and provided your correct information. If you are standing as a part representative, they must sign to consent to your nomination.

By the day after the close of nominations, we will publish a ‘statement of persons nominated’ which lists who has stood for election and who has proposed them. This will be followed by the ‘notice of poll’ which confirms the detail of the election.

There are detailed rules on campaigning and election spending, candidates should read the guidance from the Electoral Commission.

When the votes are counted depends on what other elections are running on the same day. For by-elections, the count is usually night of the elections. Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council will let candidates know when the votes will be counted and candidates can attend the count.


Applying for Co-Option

If the parish council has a vacancy to fill by co-option, we will advertise it on our noticeboard, website, social media. We will invite those wishing to be co-opted to complete an application form which sets out the eligibility and the reasons you want to be a councillor.

The applications will then be put to a meeting of the Full Council where the councillors will vote to determine which candidate is co-opted and becomes a councillor.

The Electoral Commission website contains the detailed and official advice for candidates in elections.

We recommend that if you are interested in putting yourself forward to become a Parish Councillor you read their guidance after this page.
Electoral Commission : Guidance for Parish Council Candidates